Footwear plays a large role in the development as well as the prevention of foot and toe problems such as bunions, calluses and corns, and hammer, claw, and mallet toes. Shoes that don’t fit properly make these conditions worse and more painful. Orthotics are tools that help you reduce stress on a joint by shifting weight off of the joint.
Bon Secours Physical Therapy provides affordable solutions for your orthotic needs. Orthotics are placed in the shoe to realign the lower limb and foot to its proper angle/position. This ensures proper foot function and helps relieve common biomechanical complaints, including pain. The orthotic is customized to meet the specific needs of each individual.
Common signs and symptoms that may benefit from orthotics include:
- Abnormal shoe wear (one side of the sole wears out faster than the other)
- Chronic heel, knee, or low back pain
- Frequent ankle injuries
- Gait abnormalities
- Shin splints or pain
- High arches
Diagnoses that can benefit from orthotics:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendinitis
- IT Band syndrome
- Patella tendonitis
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome
- Shin splints
Bon Secours Richmond Physical Therapy offers a variety of devices, including softer devices for those who cannot tolerate rigid devices and orthotics for athletes. We can provide devices that will fit into tight fitting shoes like cleats/track spikes for athletes with these problems.
You don’t always have to have a prescription for an orthotic evaluation, even though the prescription will lower your out-of-pocket expense. Prescriptions can be requested from a specialist, but your family doctor can also evaluate and prescribe this service. Some insurance plans provide coverage for orthotics. Check with the physical therapy clinic for more details.
- Do You Need Physical Therapy After a Long Hospital Stay?
- Physical Therapy Solutions for Diabetic Neuropathy
- Love Your Body This Valentine’s Day – Five Ways to Help
- 4 Noninvasive Treatments for Lower Back Pain
- Happy Healthy Holidays from Registered Dietitian Nutritionists, Abby and Whitney