Whether you are a serious bicyclist or a recreational rider, when it comes to bicycling, you and your bike should fit well together. A proper bike fit minimizes discomfort, increases efficiency, and helps prevent pain or injury. A certified BikePT can evaluate the way your body is positioned on the bike to make sure that your biking style “fits” your functional goals, whether they are for comfort and endurance or for speed and performance. Ideally, every fit should make your position more efficient and safe.
At Bon Secours Physical Therapy, your Bike Fitting is performed by a medical professional. While we’re happy to tweak your seat height, we specialize in a much more complex fit than what you’d expect from a local bike shop. Our certified BikePT dives in to find the root cause of any pain or dysfunction you may be having from an ill-fitting bike. If you’re riding through discomfort caused by previous injuries or movement abnormalities, we can help. Sometimes it’s the smallest changes that make the most profound differences. Our medical approach uncovers exactly what adjustments will make your riding experience one of positioned perfection.
Whether you are King or Queen of the Mountains or a complete novice, a professional bike fitting can make all the difference in the quality of your ride. Better alignment is sometimes the difference of millimeters, but it’s those millimeters that move you toward perfect alignment, reduce stress on the body and increase performance. Let our team dial in your bike fit.
What to Expect from a Bike Fitting:
- Mounting the bike to a trainer and leveling it out, then doing a quick 15-20 minute musculoskeletal screen to look at strength and mobility deficits with suggestions on how to address these issues. Measurements will then be taken on the current bike setup, assessing and measuring the cyclist on the bike, followed by adjustments and re-measurements. The cyclist will leave with a copy of the before and after measurements.
- Physical therapy evaluation performed by a specialized PT. Be sure to bring your bike and bike gear as adjustments will be made with your current bike!
- Comprehensive muscle and joint assessment
- Exercise prescription for injury prevention and pain reduction
- Dynamic and static bike positioning assessment
- Adjustments for correct positioning of saddle, cleat/pedal, and handlebars
- Video analysis to detect problems in cycling form (only if deemed necessary by the BikePT)
- Typically involves 1 to 2 visits, lasting 1 to 1.5 hours
- Suggestions on further purchases, if necessary
- Pricing: Flat-pedal (using sneakers): $110
- Clipless (using cycling shoes or cleats): $150
- Follow-Up: $70
Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical Center Physical Therapy
8200 Meadowbridge Road, Suite 102
Mechanicsville, VA 23116